One of the most frustrating lines I hear on an all too regular basis is that: “I could NEVER give up my (insert favorite substance here).” People say it when they hear our approach to health doesn’t include rice, pasta or bread at every meal. They say it when I tell them my father, who had a double bypass coronary heart surgery, passes on dessert. They say it when they learn I don’t drink milk. They say it to my clients who are working so hard to make the best choices for their bodies. The truth is: Yes you COULD give it up. And you would. If you realized how drastically your life could improve. Disclaimer right here and now: if you feel like this post is directed to you, it is. And, it’s also for the umpteen other people who have said this phrase to me or to someone else. Before you get defensive and click the X at the top of the screen, let me elaborate on why I know you could and would give it up.
- If you suffered from acne your entire life only to give up dairy and have every blemish completely vanish, you could and would give up dairy.
- If you tried every diet in the book to lose weight only to discover you are carbohydrate sensitive and if you cut out bread and pasta at your meals you will achieve your goal weight, you could and would give it up.
- If you struggled with sugar addiction your entire life and experienced the freedom that is found through giving up the white stuff and NEVER had to experience a sugar craving again, you could and you would give it up.
- If you had a double bypass heart surgery with a death scare, you could and you would give up processed desserts.
- If you realized the reason you have to make a dash for the bathroom after every meal is because of your usual glass of milk, you would and could give it up.